Leabhar Ó Luasaigh
Chapter 7: A MISCELLANY cont'd

  • Miscellaneous Luceys

horizontal dividing rule



The castle in Co Antrim, was built by the Norman Mandeville family who later changed their name to MacQuillan. It has no relationship with the name Lucey what-so-ever. The old spelling was Dunlios. Dun = strong, lios = fort.

Hugelin de Mandeville's name was rendered as Iughilin or Uidhilin in Irish, so that his descendants became Mac Uidhilin, which was then spelled in English as Mac Quillan.

The castle is perched on a great crag over the sea, near the Giant's Causeway. In 1588, Dunluce Castle was referred to as "The seat of Sorley Boy, chief of the MacDonnells in Co Antrim." In the mid 17th Century, Sorley Boy's descendants, the Earls of Antrim abandoned it and allowed it to fall into picturesque decay.


(Main references: Dictionary of National Biography (various volumes) O.U.P. and Encyclopedia Britannica 1969, &c.)

Richard de Lucy (died 1179)

Born at Lucé near Domfront in western Normandy - his name being taken from that township. Appointed Chief Justiciar of England by King Henry II, although he probably entered royal service under Henry I. (The Justiciar was the chief political and judicial officer under the Norman and early Plantagenet kings of England.)

Richard de Lucy was a supporter of king Stephen in Normandy against Geoffrey of Anjou (1140) and probably also of Henry I. He succeeded Geoffrey de Mandeville as justicar and sheriff of Hertfordshire and Essex in 1143. Both de Lucy and Robert de Beaumont (2nd Earl of Leicester) were appointed joint chief justiciars (c. 1155) and after Leicester's death in 1168, de Lucy held the office alone.

As one of the king's chief counsellors, he must be given part of the credit for the important legislation of the period, and during the king's struggles with à Becket, he was singled out by the king's enemies as a principal author of the Constitution of Clarendon (1164).

He was excommunicated twice (1166 and 1169) by Thomas à Becket (1118-1170). à Becket's murder had been in part provoked by his refusal to lift the sentences he had passed on his enemies.

de Lucy's role in holding together those loyal to the king in the great revolt of 1173-74 was considered to be crucial.

After Archbishop à Becket's murder, he founded and joined Lesnes Abbey in 1178, as he was responsible for events leading up to the murder.

Richard de Lucy died at Lesnes on 14th July, 1179.

Godfrey de Lucy (died 1204) Son of Richard de Lucy. Bishop of Winchester. He performed a number of delicate ambassadorial duties for the church and the crown. On the resignation of the justiciarship by his father, and the subsequent division of England into four circui in 1179, he was appointed justice for the district beyond the Trent and the Mersey. He took a prominent part in the coronation of Richard I (1189). Excommunicated by the pope. Took part in King John's coronation (1199)

1305 : The name de Lucy appears in the Gormanston (Co Meath) register at Carlingford (Co Armagh), and the name was prominent throughout the 14th cent.

Anthony de Lucy was Justiciar in Ireland in 1332.

Anthony, first Baron Lucy descended from Richard de Lucie, Governor of Faleis, Normandy, temp. King Stephen, was summoned to parliament 1320.

He may (or may not) be the person referred to immediately above.

Sir Thomas Lucy (1532 - 1600) English Warwickshire squire, traditionally associated with the youth of Shakespeare, whom he was alleged to have arrested for deer stealing from Charlecote. Born on 24th April, 1532, a son of Sir William Lucy (d. 1551) of Charlecote which is near Stratford. As a boy, he is said to have studied under the tutorship of John Foxe, the martyrologist, from whom he learned the puritan principles which distinguish his adult life.

At 16, he married Joyce Acton - the sole heiress of Thomas Acton of Sutton, Worcestershire. With her fortune, he was able to rebuild the family house, probably soon after his father's death in 1551. He was knighted in 1565, by Queen Elizabeth in his own house; and he sat in two parliaments as a knight of the shire of Warwick.

He was justice of the Queen's peace, a commissioner for recusancy (recusant = refusing to submit or comply) and a member of Burleigh's council for the marches of Wales.

After his part in the arrest and execution of Edward Arden in 1583, he became widely respected and feared as a recusant hunter. He died suddenly at Charlecote on 7th July, 1600.

Sir Walter de Charlecote : had arms (three lucies) conferred on him by Henry de Montfort, and these were confirmed by king Richard I. His son and heir was called Sir William de Lucy of Charlecote. The reason for the name change is not recorded.

For Biography, see Charlecote and the Lucys, by A. Fairfax-Lucy.

Constance Lucy

English Surnames, an Essay on Family Nomenclature by M.A. Lower, (John Russell Smith. London 1875) quotes the following epitaph in Latin, taking the form of a pun on the name of Constance Lucy who died in 1596, aged 10, it is in the Church of the Holy Trinity, Minories, U.K.

Et quondam Lucida, Luce caret,
Ante annos Constans, humilis, mansueta, modesta.

William Lucy (1594-1677) bishop of C.of E. Diocese of St David's (1660- 1677), fourth son of Sir Thomas Lucy of Charlecote by his second wife. B.A. Oxn., M.A. Cam.

This particular William Lucy was the author of the following publications (which are available in microform at the National Library of Australia) :

Observations, censures and confutations of notorious errours in Mr Hobbes' Leviathan (?) 1663;
A treatise of the nature of a minister in all its offices to which is annexed ... (?) 1670;
An answer to Mr Hobbs his Leviathan with observations, censures and confutations ... 1673;
Articles of Visitation & enquiry concerning matters ecclesiastical exhibit ..
- two separate publications, dated 1662 and 1671 respectively.

William Lucy Esq. Mayor of Birmingham (dates not known). Was granted arms.

Charles Lucy (1814 - 1873) Born at Herefordshire. Historical painter, studied at Ecole des Beaux-Arts, and later at the Royal Academy. Paintings for private collectors, and American public institutions.

Mary Elizabeth Lucy (1803-1889) memoirs published as Mistress of Charlecote : the memoirs of Mary Elizabeth Lucy introduced by Alice Fairfax-Lucy.

Published by Gollancz, London, 1983. Copy in the National Library of Australia, Canberra.

Sir Henry Lucy (1843 - 1924) born in Lancashire, the son of Robert Lucy. He was probably born about the end of March 1843, baptized William Henry Lucy in April of that year.

Worked as a clerk, and had poetry published in the Liverpool Mercury; taught himself shorthand. Worked for the Shrewsbury Cronicle (1864), the local Observer, and the Shropshire News. Lived in Paris during 1869, and learned French.

British journalist; wrote for Pall Mall Gazette from 1870, for Daily News from 1873 (and of which he was the editor): and for Punch from 1881. Used the nom- de-plume "Toby, M.P." from 1881 to 1916.

Knighted in 1909. Autobiographies: Sixty Years in the Wilderness and The Diary of a Journalist (1922). The journalist and writer Frank Harris said of him that, "He met every one, and knew no one."

Other publications of Sir Henry:

"A Diary of the Home Rule Parliament, 1892-1895"


"A Diary of the Unionist Parliament, 1895-1900"


"The Balfourian Parliament, 1900-1905"


"Memories of Eight Parliaments"


"Later peeps at Parliament, taken from behind the Speaker's Chair"


"Men and manner in Parliament"


Lieutenant W.P. Lucy, DSO RN (Fleet Air Arm).

A photograph showing the "memorabilia, momentoes and medals" of the lieutenant appears on the cover and also on page 62 of A Soldier in the Family - a source book for Australian Military Genealogy from the first Fleet to the Gulf War. Nothing further is said of him, but in the photo can be seen two copies of a Journal for use of Junior Officers Afloat; a white ensign bearing the Union Jack in the top left corner of what appears to be the flag of St George; a framed certificate from George the Sixth (which bears the kingís signature and the lieutenantís name); another certificate which mentions "The Lords Commissioners ... by the KINGíS ... as mentioned in despatches ... (It seems from this certificate that the lieutenantís first name may have been William); a third certificate which states: "The Secretary of the Admiralty presents his compliments and by Command of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty has the honour to ... the enclosed Awards for service in the war of 1939-45. The Lords Commissioners share your sorrow that ... (illegible hand-written name) ... in respect of whose service these Awards are given did not live to receive them." A framed photograph (from ship board?) is included among the certificates.

The book was written and apparently published by Allan Box of Monash University, Gippsland Campus, First Edition, 1994. Credit for the illustration described is given to Glendinings of London.

Joe Lucy was a British boxing champion in about 1949 - according to Seamus McGettigan of Celtic Irish Products, Melbourne (no longer operating) in a conversation with the present writer on 14th April, 1992.

The Illustrated History of Boxing described Joe Lucy as a "methodical south-paw," but said no more than that.

Terence Lucey (1934- ) is the author of:

Investment Appraisal : Evaluating risk and uncertainty published by The Institute of Cost and Work Accountants, London, 1971.

Management Information Systems, published by DP Publications, Eastleigh, Hampshire, 1987 (5th Edition)

Jack A. Lucy author of The Plasma Membrane, O.U.P. London, 1975, (Oxford Biology Readers) and 2nd edition revised, 1978, Scientific Publications Division, Carolina Biological Supply Co., Burlington, North Carolina.

John F. Lucy author of There's a Devil in the Drum, published by Faber and Faber, London, 1938. Described under the various headings of Great Britain, Army, Biography, Soldiers, personal narratives, World War 1914-1918, Western campaigns. It was reviewed in the Times Literary Supplement of 2 April, 1938.

Mary P. Lucy editor of Duke Humphrey : a sidelight on Lancastrian England, by J. Davis. Published at Ilfracombe by Stockwell, 1973. An account of Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester (1391-1447).

September, 1999